Saturday 22 June 2013

Polish folk art - WYCINANKI

Polish folk art is absolutely amazing - takes so much time, skills, patience! Just take a look at this masterpiece- paper cut outs. Gorgeous!
wycinanki    
  

I have been interested in ART for my whole like - my family plays instruments, go to the opera, theatre, and to galleries on regular basis. Instead of the radio, I was exposed to classical music from early years, went to gymnastics class, took additional drawing classes etc. Art and music were everywhere and had great impact on my life. 
I had little opportunity to get to know about Polish folk Art, though. Till 2010, when I started to work for a company situated in "The Green Lungs" of Poland - north-east part, where there are mainly landscape parks and nature reserves. It made it possible to preserve traditional way of living along with folk culture. These rural parts are pure, natural, many things are handmade, tradition is very important so ocassions are celebrated in old ways. You can feel as if you went back in time!
Internet and games are not main entertainment there, but you can sit and ...make paper cut outs (wycinanki) like the one above. All you need is a pair of big scissors, colourful paper, imagination and lots of patience. Then, these masterpieses are used to decorate (glued to cards, framed to become pictures, or hand on a christmas tree). 
The people who make cut outs teach their children so that the tradition stays alive through generations. BUT you can also learn how to do it! I help organising individual trips to Poland, including workshops od different kind- cut outs are there as well. By the way, while being there you can also learn how to bake bread, make herbal tincture or knit.

Want to give it a try? If you do, please send me photos of your works: nikagifts@gmail.com so that we can share ideas ans tips. Need more info? Please contact me for more details.


 I am planning to write more about Polish Folk Art on my blog, so stay tuned:) 

have an inspiring weekend,


Nika

No comments:

Post a Comment